permaculture - [permaculture] coppicing Elaeagnus?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • Subject: [permaculture] coppicing Elaeagnus?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:42:33 +0100

Hi there,
Would anyone know whether Elaeagnus species (Russian olive etc.) can be
coppiced, i.e. does it resprout from the base?

I read that in Pakistan Elaeagnus as well as willow are planted on field
edges and marginal land - their leaves and bark provide supplementary
fodder for livestock in winter.

I feed some willow, sea buckthorn, and ash to my goats from field
margins and hedges already (with alder, birch, and Rosa rugosa next in
line once they get big enough) and wonder could I do the same with
Elaeagnus.

Thanks,
Ute