permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Branches and small diameter wood

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Branches and small diameter wood
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:46:05 -0700

> Apparently your not worried about the woodchips tying up the nitrogen?
Ramial chips are not sawdust; there's lots besides carbon there. And lots of
spaces- which have air, and thus atmospheric nitrogen that can be fixed and
used by the microflora as needed.
Once I put wood planer shavings on a grassy path; what came up was not grass
but clover. After a year of clover domination, the grass came back. These
goddam polycultures! Always pulling tricks on ya!
But now I'm thinking of a cartoon of woodchips tying up nitrogen. Could get
kinky.

-Rick