permaculture - Re: [permaculture]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture]
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:43:18 -0500

Anne,
I don't know what MHC types means, but in regards to the so-called homgeneity of the immune systems, I would highly reccomend you read "Guns, Germs and Steel" _ the authors name escapes me at present ( Jarred ?).
In any event, the hypothesis is that what gave Whitey a genetic advantage over others with regards to immunity to disease, is that the Europeeans had co-evolved in very close proximity to their domestic animals like pigs and cows, animals not indigenouus in the Americas. As a result, they had evolved immunities to the diseases caught from those animals, while the "Americans" had not.

Claude