permaculture - [permaculture] "Traditional Knowledge: New & Old"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Bioregion listserv <Bioreg@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] "Traditional Knowledge: New & Old"
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:32:45 -0500

(Please excuse cross-posting)
In a speech last May, Treasury Secretary Lawrence H. Summers reflected on what people are calling the New Economy by saying, "... if there is one fundamental change at its heart, it must be the move from an economy based on the production of physical goods to an economy based on the production and application of knowledge."

So, what are the ancient and new patterns which depend on the production and application of knowledge?

That's part of the question we will explore in the Summer 2003(deadline April 1)issue of the Permaculture Activist Magazine addressing the theme of "Traditional Knowledge: New & Old".

Possible subjects include:

Bioregionalism
Indigenous cultural practices of:
agriculture,
fishing (note, too, that we seek stories on Aquaculture for the fall 2003 issue - June 15 deadline),
hunting,
medicine,
governance,
architecture,
economics,
education (we also need articles on the subject of education for the winter 2003 issue - Sept 20 deadline)
technology, etc.
Modern variants of the above
Wild-crafting
Cosmology
Emerging new "Traditions" and trends

. . . and so forth.

The magazine is primarily for a North American audience, but relevant
articles from other regions are welcome. Length is flexible, from 800-3000
words. Electronic submissions are preferred, and accompanying graphics are
always appreciated. We cannot pay for submissions, but will provide you with
several copies of the issue in return. Ad exchanges are sometimes an option.

To submit ideas or articles, contact me at:
keith@permacultureactivist.net

For more information on the magazine, visit
http://www.permacultureactivist.net

Keith Johnson
Editorial Guild