permaculture - Re: [permaculture] SEEDBALLS

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mitra <mitra_lists@earth.path.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] SEEDBALLS
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:15:23 +1100

Title: Re: [permaculture] SEEDBALLS
How big are these balls?

- Mitra

At 5:58 PM -0700 17/2/03, Kelly Finigan wrote:
yup:

A friend from California and I made a big batch in June when the G8 came to town...later a bunch of folks took them and planted them where they wished. Mixed together some clay from my back yard (from the hole for a stormwater catchment / irrigation supply pond) with some compost (for nutrients) and an assortment of seeds  - made two types of balls: one from native plant seeds collected from along the river valley and the second from vegetable seeds a community garden gave us for helping them lay out their site "permie" style (swales, keyhole beds, etc).

The balls were "planted" quickly by many folks - the balls roll into low spots and wait until it rains (unpredictable in the prairies), then they germinate, complete with a little soil/nutrient "meal" to start them off. Have fun!

Kelly

Kelly Finigan, M.Sc. P.Eng., Permaculture Designer
Essential Elements Inc.
744 - 4 Street NW       Calgary, Alberta, Canada         T2N 1P2
1-403-283-7270           fax 283-9783     kfinigan@spots.ca