permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Greywater For Farm/Home Use]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Finigan" <kfinigan@spots.ca>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Greywater For Farm/Home Use]
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:31:27 -0700

Hi Dave:

Generally, the town/district etc will want to see engineered plans until
this becomes common in your locale. If enough people start doing greywater,
it can eventually become written into local planning procedures (I think
Santa Barbara, California has done this???). Sometimes, finding a
sympathetic engineer in your area is tough though.

In the northeast, two engineering companies come to my mind:
Ecological Engineering Associates
508 Boston Post Road
Weston, MA 02493
781-891-5085
781-891-8654 fax

David Del Porto
Sustainable Strategies
50 Beharrell Street
P.O. Box 1313
Concord, MA 01742-1313
Telephone: 978/369-9440
Fax: 978/369-2484

My disclaimer: I don't personally know these folks or if either work in
N.J.... or if they are very expensive...or actually nice to work with
either...I just know they have done some things with greywater/compost
toilets etc.

if you cannot find a locally registered engineer to help you, I might guess
you would quietly design / build your own (illegal) system based on good
info in these resources:
Art Ludwig's books - Oasis with Greywater - very good in my opinion (I'm a
permie-engineer and have designed lots of water/waste systems for up to
towns up to 40,000 people)
Humanure Handbook - for the "black" portion - very good too
Anna Edey book: How to grow $500,000 on an acre - she is doing
greywater/urine watering of garden/compost toilet in the NE States
New Alchemy Institute - they developed a lot of systems in the 70's - John
Todd developed Living Machines there
Watson Wick - Tom Watson in New Mexico - good system for cold climates
(integrate it into an attached greenhouse - lets you use it year round in
freezing climates)

hope this helps...if not, I cannot legally design a system for you (not
registered there) but could dialogue with a local engineer or give general
advice for "entertainment purposes" only (note I'm NOT advising you to build
your own illegal system...)

Kelly

Kelly Finigan, M.Sc. P.Eng., Permaculture Designer
Essential Elements Inc.
744 - 4 Street NW Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1P2
1-403-283-7270 fax 283-9783 kfinigan@spots.ca