permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] OT: Newbie Outdoor Wood Furnace owner

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] OT: Newbie Outdoor Wood Furnace owner
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:32:24 -0600

Nice look at outdoor wood furnaces.
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:35:08 -0500
From: jackie a treat <silvermaplejat1@juno.com>
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

I just installed an " Empyre, deluxe II 450" outdoor woodburning furnace
on 11/26.
Built by Profab( Cozeburn )Inc.
Box 443
Arborg, Manitoba Canada ROC 0A0
1-888-933-4440

The dealer was Swantak ,Oneonta NY

www.swantak.com

My interest was to keep the wood mess and fire out of the house, we had a
woodburning furnace,that also heated hot water, in the basement right
under my daughters bedroom. Always a worry. Plus in subzero windy
conditions the oil furnace would kick on to keep up.
I spent a lot of time with the literature, advertisments etc. and pretty
much decided on the central boiler.brand.
I then spent an entire day a t the NY farm progress show this summer
looking at all the different stoves and talking to the dealers.
What a suprise : they were all THE BEST, and had no problem telling me
why .
So I'll just boil down my procees of elimination.
Stainless steel, and the water filled baffle design.
I looked a the Taylor years ago but found it a very complex high
maintanence design.
Then come to find out there are two types of stainless and they are both
the best!
Swantak was the closest local dealer and has several stoves in my area.
He handled central Boiler and Empyre, They are VERY similar in
construction, with the Empyre being 304 type stainless.
When I had Bob Swantak come to the farm for an estimate he told me he
would only be handling the Empyre as he felt it was a better built stove
and that he had some customers with warranty complaints that central
boiler did not make right.
We went with the larger 450 model to tie into both the house and milk
room hot water.
So far the thing has exceeded my expectations.
The house is a nice steady 70, no wide swings of temp.
We have not been able to make it run out of hot water, and I have tried,
running dishwasher clothes washer and showers back to back. The old stove
was very slow to recover hot water.
I have been loading it once a day, and am still figuring out how much
wood to put in it . I have cut back from stuffing it full.
Yes it smokes when the new wood is put in and the fan kicks on but it
fires up quick. Smokes less when hot.
The dealer told me that the EPA will soon require all these furnace to be
force fan draft to cut emmisions.
The natural ones tend to smoke more so I am told.

The stove cost $6,500
It sits 150 from the house so pipe and insulation was costly.
Plus the hot water heatexchanger and the hot air furnace heat exc.
Plus $600 labor (3 men ) for 6 hrs,
Total stove cost intalled $8,658
Plus $150 for backhoe work
Plus misc cost of wiring, filter fabric, gravel and (free) old silo
staves that it sits on and my labor.
Made a heck of a mess of the lawn as we hit the Nov rains.
Cost to tie into the barn ,250 ft., is estimated at $1,650, plus
digging the trench.
Based on past fuel oil costs this still gives me a 4 year payback time.
And I do not have to split the wood and cut 30-32 inches instead of 20.

Things they do not tell you but you learn quick.
Yes it is warrantied for 20 yrs. But it is prorated with age, and you
must submitt a water sample every 6 months.
Yes the wavy baffle design does smoke out the door when you are loading
wood, its best to let it really burn down before reloading.

Bottem line. TOASTY. And SAFE

Charlie
Central NY

Since time is important, please reduce the number of lines from previous posts you reply to, and use an accurate subject line.
Post message: grazersedge@egroups.com
Subscribe: grazersedge-subscribe@egroups.com
Our homepage: http://www.egroups.com/group/grazersedge