permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biogas sludge as fertilizer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biogas sludge as fertilizer
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:44:18 -0600

At 04:08 AM 12/4/02 -0800, you wrote:
Could anyone please comment on the "fertilizer" claims and pathogen
cut-off claims, and/or point me towards some authoritative work on
the subject (preferably by soil biologists rather than chemists)?

Many thanks

Keith Addison

I think you summarize the trade off well. This kind of material not only has voc's of various types, but may also have very soluable N and other nutrients. What we used to tell folks spreading liquid manure, most of which is stored anaerobically, when I was with Midwestern Bio Ag was to apply small amounts in order to minimize the disturbance of the soil biota and spread the nutrients out at levels which could be quickly absorbed. I think we said no more than 6000 gal/acre (about 48,000 liters/Ha). Might have a look at their web site
www.midwesternbioag.com
Some of these negative effects could be buffered by aerating the manure for a few days, of course this will stink up the neighborhood with nasty, and somewhat toxic emissions. No free lunch.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK