permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: Purity Of Organic Foods/Compost]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: Purity Of Organic Foods/Compost]
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 09:58:56 -0700

> as i understand, in any soil ful of roots this swapping back and forth
> between aerobic and anaerobic constantly happens - this ia what makes a reed
> bed working so effectively, and the everpresent ethylene-cycle works the
> same way.

Whenever I'm digging up Juncus rushes and such, out of heavy blue clay, I'm
always struck by how there's cavities in the clay, lined with rust. My
interpretation is that the blue is because there's no oxygen, and the "rust"
is oxidized iron where the plant roots have provided O2.
-Rick

  • Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: Purity Of Organic Foods/Compost], Rick Valley, 12/01/2002