permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Carbon Storage in Soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Carbon Storage in Soil
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:54:41 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> Here's another article (part of it anyway) on the capacity of soils to
> store Carbon. Notice the high rates of carbon accumulation for
> restoring degraded lands.
>
> The more I look, the more I learn that there is a well organized
> contigent advocating the restoration of degraded lands, who's
> recommendations and methods run contrary to the tree clearing
> ecosystem restorationists of Texas. This Greening Earth Society could
> be a good lead.

Read the about us page (and the site in general, especially between the
lines) to see what the spin is with these folks...

http://greeningearthsociety.org/about.html

Bottom line:

"Greening Earth Society is a not-for-profit membership organization
comprised of rural electric cooperatives and municipal electric utilities,
their fuel suppliers, and thousands of individuals."

E.g. fossil-fuel power companies trying to make a case for business as
usual for themselves. They're the same folks who propose injecting carbon
into deep ocean water and "Stimulating ocean phytoplankton to absorb
carbon" and other systemically unpredictable ways to sweep it under the
rug. I'd be curious to know they mean by "conservation tillage,"
especially in light of the recent enlightening soil biochemistry post.

Not that I oppose the restoration of degraded lands or sequestration of
carbon in soil...!! ;-) But that's not these folks' main purpose - they
just want to avoid having to produce less CO2.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration