permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement building project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement building project
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:33:23 -0600

G'day John and Paul,

There's a wood clay cinder block out called Faswall.
http://www.faswall.com/

I believe it's used much like any other concrete masonry unit, stacked like
brick and every other or every third hollow column is poured with cement.
Apparently, though, the Swiss make it and have pretty aggressively guarded
the process. Last I heard they might have been setting up a manufacturing
plant in the Midwest.

Also a fellow, George Swanson, in Austin was using something like clay and
wood or cement and wood for pouring floors. He claims it's very springy and
sets up some sort of beneficial ionization or something like that.

Austin City's Greenbuilder program probably has spec's on both materials.