permaculture - Re: [permaculture] shelter for stock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] shelter for stock
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:32:40 -0700

> Even well
> adapted hogs should be OK if they can get into well bedded areas sheltered
> from wind , might want to look for Hereford hogs, this was a well adapted
> Northern pasture breed.

The remark was that hogs tear up their houses;
I spoke with a Kentucky hog farmer who gave me this reipe for hog houses:

Take your brushhog to a swath of your canebrake (Arundinaria gigantea
bamboo) then gather up the chopped mess and rototill it into some wet clay.
Build with the mix. "Makes good hog houses, and those hogs are tough on
their houses"

-Rick