permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:29:41 -0700

Marcus sez:
> Can someone recommend a type of cedar to plant? Whats red cedar like in
> 10,20,50,100+ years ?

But Marcus, where *exactly* are ya? (in OZ, roight, but where?) "cedar" has
to be the least specific common name for a tree that English has.
F'rinstance, cedar for Kirby probably means Juniperus virginiana; for me
it's Thuja plicata (which looks like the Rimu of Aotearora) or Calocedrus
decurrens in my immediate environs. For a Brit it's prob. Cedrus deodara,
and for Centro Americanos it's some damn thing that's not even a conifer,
but that makes great aromatic cigar boxes.
I'd check yr. closest botanic garden and sniff around. It'd be too cool if
you could do Juniperus procera (from Kenya) or maybe Cedrus libanotica would
be your choice. Another route to your decision could be to look at the flora
of regions with similar climates elsewhere in the world, tho that can get
you craving species that haven't been introduced to your spot.
-Rick