permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #408 - 3 msgs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #408 - 3 msgs
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:52:59 -0700

Forgive me if I am a little skeptical about continuous mono cropping being sustainable.  Just as the midwest farmer got away with it for over a hundred years and now is finding that his productivity is going south, so too, I firmly believe, will the Main forester/farmer find that his soil fertility will plummet over time and his northern white pine succeeded by some plant that can survive on less fertile ground.

I also don't think that the beaver or elephant takes the place of man but vice versa and that man's place should be considerable smaller than currently believed.  We contribute less than the beaver in terms of increasing fertility and decreasing erosion.  In fact a large amount of our current riparian farm land is there thanks to the beaver.  Since we contribute less in overall improvement than the beaver, perhaps the beaver should have a bigger share.  Since we are the most destructive force let loose on this planet perhaps we should learn from the elephant and beaver how to do better and then emulate them.

Since we have already ended up with "more like what we want" and that has given us desertification, filthy water, unbreathable air, and dead soil perhaps we should be living in national preserves and the other critters living in the greater landscape, if we could just control the pesky human breeding problem.

Scott P.