permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Hand Powered Mulcher?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Harold Waldock" <haroldw@alternatives.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: <Greg@Permaculture.net>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Hand Powered Mulcher?
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 21:13:55 -0800

Title: Hand Powered Mulcher?
The Europeans have not responded. They have a competitive Electric chipper shredder market:
I've looked a bit in Canada but everybody keeps saying they have never seen an electric chipper shredder.  I'm needing 2 just now as my father and brother need one.  Lechia built one that was popular but it has not been sold in NA for years. You are lucky if can find an old one - there are a couple of places that can sell you parts or fix them.
The specs on the latest electric chipper shredders from Bosch are impressive: under 80db, 70lbs, auto shutoff,  unjam lever, takes 1.5 inch wood, self feeding ....under 250 UK pounds.

Ramial wood (small) has high nitrogen to wood ratio that is up to 1 to 30  N:C and with only a little encouragement will rot down fast.  What I like to do is get alder and maple then innoculate with mushroom spawn - clients love it - mushrooms for 2 years.  Keeps the weeds down and builds the soil.
Now if only I could get my hands on a couple of chipper shredders,

Harold Waldock