permaculture - Re: [permaculture] my tomatos!!, what shall i do.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] my tomatos!!, what shall i do.
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 10:02:13 -0800

At 09:14 AM 11/8/02 -0800, its me wrote:
here is a question and i hope some one can help me
out.

i have a few tomato plants in my garden.
the bloom like crazy but there a few tomatoes.
i dont see any bugs eating the buds but their gone
shortly after blooming.

My first thought is that the nighttime temperatures are too cold for fruit set on your tomatoes. You don't say where you're growing these...but some combination of your microclimate and where you plant them may be part of the problem. If this is the case, you can improve your odds by planting the tomatoes in a warmer part of your yard that gets more sunlight - the south side of a building, for example - and/or by using something like a Wall o' Water around your young plants. This is a water-filled "mini-greenhouse" that helps keep your plants warm.

Tomatoes like heat and lots of nutrients.

Good luck,

Loren

Loren Davidson Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"If anybody ever tells you that one vote doesn't count, talk to me about it." - Al Gore