permaculture - [permaculture] Urban sprawl is sucking up our fertile lands

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Urban sprawl is sucking up our fertile lands
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:27:04 -0800

Subject: Urban sprawl is sucking up our fertile lands
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:55:34 -0600
From: RDH <rdhopkins@AMERICANPASTURAGE.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

-- America Is Losing Its Best Farmland to Sprawling Development, Says AFT
Study

The rate of conversion of rural farmland to housing and commercial
development rose dramatically in the U.S. during the mid-1990s, according to
a new study by American Farmland Trust. The report finds that between 1992
and 1997 the nation lost more than 6 million acres of farmland, an area
about the size of Maryland. Sprawling development near small and large
cities, rather than economic growth itself, consumed farmland at an annual
rate of 1.2 million acres during this period, a 51 percent increase over the
previous 10 years. Prime farmland-the land most suited for growing food-is
being developed about 30 percent faster than less-productive farmland, and
more than half of the lost acreage is being converted to 10-plus acre
housing lots on the outer edges of suburbia. Texas is losing the most
high-quality land, followed by Ohio, North Carolina, Georgia, and Illinois,
although "every state is losing some of its best farm and ranchland, along
with the agricultural economy, wildlife habitat and water recharge that the
land supports," says AFT president Ralph Grossi. While acknowledging
important gains in farmland preservation made by state and local programs,
the report recommends more funding for agricultural conservation easements
at all government levels; targeting conservation funds to the best, most
threatened agricultural areas; and supporting effective planning and 'smart
growth' strategies to counter wasteful development. The "Farming on the
Edge" report, with national and state maps, is online at www.farmland.org;
for print availability, contact AFT, (202) 331-7300; info@farmland.org.

Rick Hopkins
President
American Pasturage, Inc.
P.O. Box 190
Marionville, MO 65705
(417) 258-2394
http://www.americanpasturage.com/
For other information concerning grass fed beef see http://www.eatwild.com
and http://www.westonaprice.org
For the American Homestead Foods Certification Program go to
http://www.homesteadfoods.com
Also check out the new Graziers Forum at: http://bbs.americanpasturage.com
And if you have extra time on your hands, go to http://www.saveoursoils.org
We need volunteers to support the content development for this site.

  • [permaculture] Urban sprawl is sucking up our fertile lands, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 11/07/2002