permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and urban agriculturein Zimbabwe

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and urban agriculturein Zimbabwe
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:08:22 -0700

> This article discusses how the urban populations of Harare in Zimbabwe
> are turning to urban agriculture in reaction to the ongoing economic
> collapse of their country
> http://allafrica.com/stories/200211040448.html . The article
> specifically mentions a permaculture institute, Fambidzanayi
> Permaculture Centre in Dzivaresekwa and the Musikavanhu Project in
> Budiriro, as being very involved with encouraging urban agriculture.
> The main crop talked about is maize.

As populations become increasingly dependent on maize, pellagra is a danger.
Are people taking steps to avoid this? Gary Nabhan relates stories about
pellagra in Italy in the 1700 & 1800's, incl. a Mexican ambassador trying to
popularize the preparation of masa, and other traditional new world methods
of hulling the grain to bring the proteins more into balance. I love maize,
but the African mealies leave me wanting...
-Rick