permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge]Fecal counts/Wormers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge]Fecal counts/Wormers
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:36:39 -0600

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:07:00 -0600
From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
Subject: Re: [grazersedge]Fecal counts/Wormers
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

sentto-46643-25448-1035817623-mpludwig=facstaff.wisc.edu@returns.groups.yah oo.com

At 08:56 AM 10/27/2002 -0800, Mary wrote:
> Here's a little teeny bit of help to get you started
>http://www.saanendoah.com/fecals.html

That's a nice website, with some good information - identifying the
presence of certain parasite ovae/oocysts in a fecal is a good start, but
is not the same as actually quantitating numbers/gram of feces to give an
indication of level of infection or effectiveness of a deworming program or
anthelmintic.
To do this, you really must do a quantitative count, using either the
McMasters technique or the modified Wisconsin double-centrifugation protocol.
I've never done either(or I don't recall doing them in vet school) - I'm in
the enviable position of having lab techs whose job is to perform those
tests. We're not routinely doing EPG counts here yet, as most of our
producers and vets don't have a clue as to how to properly use those
results. However, with the major increase in the number of goats we're
currently seeing through our lab, I've put the technical staff on notice
that it's only a matter of time until we're going to have to start doing
them, as a service to our clientele.

One of the nicest little primers on parasite control in small ruminants
that I've run across in a while is linked below. I pass copies of this one
to the students in my Parasitology class, in hopes of giving them a little
clarification on the life cycle, and proper management steps that can be
taken, in addition to 'deworming' , to diminish the impact of parasitism in
a herd/flock.

http://209.250.129.110/nematodes.htm

Be sure to read the last two paragraphs over and over again - they really
hit home at the heart of the matter

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/Asst. Prof.
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/S8XolB/TM