permaculture - [permaculture] Jerk responds, discloses location

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Jerk responds, discloses location
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:45:41 -0500

First my location, then my pathetic justifications....

I'm in south central Wisconsin, zone 4 on USDA maps. It's an interesting area, on the cusp of the great lakes basin and the Mississippi river basin. The farm I live on has very deep glacial till soil with just enough roll for good air drainage. I'm also near the driftless (unglaciated) area; much hillier and endowed with lots of interesting micro climates and features. The natural systems also merge in this area, with forest, prairie and savannah all well represented. This is also a high intensity agriculture area, though that gets broken up quite a bit due to the hills, streams etc. Certainly a fun place to think about large scale landscape design.