permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #356 - 2 msgs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #356 - 2 msgs
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:28:51 -0600

Jaime,
I think that it would be very valuable for you to contact Ronaldo Lek at Instituto Mesoamerica Permacultura in San Lucas Toliman, on Lake Atitlan. His email is <imap@intelnet.net.gt>
Scott

At 12:00 PM 10/20/02 -0400, you wrote:
Sender: permaculture-admin@lists.ibiblio.org

My name is Jaime Lopez Wolters, an agroforestry student at Wageningen
University, the Netherlands.
As part of my practical training I have taken on the assignment of starting an
agroforestry project in a small village in the highlands of Guatemala. The
project focuses mainly on the improvement of the local system of corn
production and aims to work in a highly participatory manner. The idea is to
form a group of farmers who are willing to take the development of farm
innovations into their own hands, learning to work together aswell as with
scientists, NGO's and GO's. Our role as facilitators would be to guide this
process and aid with our particular expertise.
We are very unexperienced and would gain much from feedback given by other
organisations or individuals working in the same field.

In these beginning stages of the project questions that arise are:

- What topics do you touch in a first meeting with farmers?
- What kind of structure should this farmer's group create as a solid
foundation for present and future work?
- How do you set up a participatory problem analysis meeting? What techniques
have proven effective?

If the topics of agroforestry and/or participatory development are of interest
to you or your organisation we would greatly appreciate it if you would take
the time to reply with comments and suggestions. Perhaps you can also pass this
email on to others who might be able to help us.

Greetings,
Jaime Lopez Wolters

  • [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #356 - 2 msgs, Scott Pittman, 10/25/2002