permaculture - [permaculture] Re borrowed cows..

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re borrowed cows..
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:11:53 -0300

Thank you all for the suggestions on sheet mulching. Besides the mulch I
have distributed rock dusts, one rich in micro-elements ( and which is
available commercially here ) and a rock phosphate. . I hadnĀ“t thought of
innoculating the material with micro-organisms, directly on the ground--
that would certianly be less work than spreading manure-laden mulch. In
fact the "limiting factor" at the moment has been my backbone...But I have
just orderdd a two-wheeled customed cart with capacity for 100 kilos, so
that should really speed up the process...

When the rains come, I will start with our drylands polycultures, actually
an agroforest system rich in mulch-=producing plants and legumes with a
heavy tree element-- but until it rains, germination is zero....

I was happy to know that the bacteria and fungi will remain available until
the rains come-- that was my biggest doubt.
Will carry through tomorrow-- am off to the land, returning end-October...

Best wishes to all of you!

Marsha