permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Fw: News Update from Frances Moore Lappe and Daughter]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Fw: News Update from Frances Moore Lappe and Daughter]
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:32:55 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:52:20 -0700
From: Chrys Ostrander <bright@FAMRC.ORG>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hi to all from Frankie and Anna.

Just back from the Earth Summit in South Africa -- where the U.S. worked
hard to block every positive initiative (see below for more on the
Summit and on our fall tour) -- we hear Bush's war drums beating ever
louder and feel challenged anew to find hope's edge. But, as came to
realize writing our book, hope is more verb than noun: We find it in
taking positive action.

So in the next month we'll have the thrill of doing just that - and we
hope you'll want to join in. The Small Planet Fund, created by readers
of Hope's Edge, will make its first gifts to eight of the courageous,
trail-blazing movements in the book. The Fund has collected about
$28,000 thus far. But we're not done yet!

If it would make you feel good to be a charter contributor - to know
that in these dark days you are energizing transformative grassroots
efforts on every continent - send any amount to the Funding Exchange
(make checks payable to The Funding Exchange with a notation for the
Small Planet Fund in the memo line and mail to 666 Broadway, Suite 500,
New York, NY 10012). To pay by credit card, please visit our website.
We'd love to include your name (not required) when we distribute the
funds so that recipients will know just how many Americans are aligned,
not with war, but with hope. Visit www.smallplanetfund.org more
information about the Fund.

Recipients of your Small Planet Fund gifts include Wangari Maathai's
Kenyan village pro-democracy and tree-planting Green Belt Movement,
Vandana Shiva's Indian-based farmers' Navdanya Movement. Grantees also
include efforts here at home to bring healthy food into all of our lives
such as Cathrine Sneed's Garden Project in San Francisco, and
Transfair's work to ensure a fair price for poor farmers around the
world.

* Save the Date: Thursday December 12th. Small Planet Fund celebration
and reception in New York City. We'll be announcing our grants and
celebrating with friends and colleagues. The evening will also include a
silent auction with great gifts including dinners for two at some of the
city's best vegetarian restaurants and more.

* Autumn 2002 Hope's Edge Tour. Our website (
<http://www.dietforasmallplanet.com/ > www.dietforasmallplanet.com) will
be updated soon with Fall dates - for now, please check below to see
when we'll be in your neck of the woods.

* Hope's Edge Study Group. We're delighted to announce that in Ukiah,
California, neighbors are gathering to study the book's relevance to
their lives and to their own community. If you'd like to learn about
their experience, email <mailto:skanaan@aol.com> skanaan@aol.com. A
Hope's Edge reader's guide will be available on our website in the near
future.

* The Power of Communities. Frankie will co-teaching a course at
Schumacher College in the UK with Helena Norberg-Hodge and Richard
Douthwaite from November 10-29. The course will focus on the ways that
people can work towards creating more sustainable and empowered
communities. Enrollment is still open - find out more at
<http://www.schumachercollege.org.uk/ >
http://www.schumachercollege.org.uk/.

* Glimpses from Johannesburg, Earth Summit (from Frankie)

As never before, I felt the contrast between how Americans see our
nation - world leader - and how most of the rest of the world
experiences us - arrogant and obstructionist. One day, for example, the
U.S. insisted that the word "democracy" be removed from the Summit text,
presumably so as not to upset potential anti-terrorism allies. And the
only country to side with us? Cuba! Throughout the Summit the U.S.
resisted setting any specific goals for shifting to renewable energy.
And our allies in this overwhelmingly unpopular stance? The
oil-producing OPEC nations! Including, of course, some of the very
countries we link to terrorism.

Many commentators reduced the evident divide at the Summit to that
between Rich and Poor countries, with the U.S. leading The Rich. But we
don't see it that way. The divide we perceive is that between two
worldviews, or "mental maps," as we say in Hope's Edge. The vast
majority of the tens of thousands gathered were not representing
governments but civil society organizations. The emergent mental map,
reflected in the concerns of most of these groups, assumes that peace
and health can only emerge as we find meaning beyond consumerism, make
the market serve us, and align ourselves with nature's genius. We took
heart in realizing that many of these movements have burgeoned
dramatically since the first Earth Summit in '92. Their invisibility to
the wider culture does not deny their growing strength, clarity, and
resolve.

At the Summit, one sign of this growth was that the fair-trade and
organic farming movement leader - ForesTrade, Inc. -- highlighted in
"Stirring the Sleeping Giant" in Hope's Edge -- received one of ten
awards for sustainable business from the U.N. Environment Program and
the International Chamber of Commerce. What a thrill it was for me to
moderate a press conference for ForesTrade co-founders, Sylvia Blanchet
and Thomas Fricke.

We hope that we will cross paths with you in the months ahead. We need
each other's energy and wisdom more than ever it seems. Thank you for
all your efforts to maintain constructive focus, helping transform fear
into positive action.

In friendship,

Frankie and Anna Lappe

AUTUMN 2002 TOUR DATES

*For more information on any of these events, please contact Hannah
Burton at info@dietforasmallplanet.com.

9.25 Nashua, NH. Frances speaks at Rivier College.

9.28 Manhattan Beach, CA. Frances and Anna speak at the VegSource
Healthy Living Conference with John and Ocean Robbins!
<http://www.vegsource.com/event/ > www.vegsource.com/event/

10.5 New York, NY. Frances and Anna speak at the Baum
Forum's A Growing Concern. <http://www.baumforum.org/ >
www.baumforum.org

10.8 New York, NY. Anna speaks at the Interdependent
Film Series.

10.10 Hanover, NH Frances speaks at Dartmouth
College.

10.16 Durham, NH Frances speaks at UNH in honor of
World Food Day. <http://www.sustainableunh.unh.edu/ >
www.sustainableunh.unh.edu/

10.16 Storrs, CT Anna speaks at University of
Connecticut.

10.19 Philadelphia, PA Frances speaks at the American
Dietetic Association's Food and Nutrition Conference and
Exhibit. <http://www.eatright.org/fnce/2002.html >
www.eatright.org/fnce/2002.html.

10.22 San Francisco, CA Rex Foundation and The Women's
Foundation will host Frankie and Anna. <http://www.rexfoundation.org/ >
www.rexfoundation.org.

10.27 Wellesley, MA Frankie speaks to the Wellesley
Friends Meeting

10.29 Cambridge, MA Frankie speaks at the Harvest Coop
Annual Meeting. <http://www.harvestcoop.com/ > www.harvestcoop.com.

11.7 Boulder, CO Frankie and Anna.

11.8 Concord, NH Frankie speaks at Concord Food
Coop Annual Meeting.

11.10- Dartington, UK Frankie presents a weeklong course
on the Power of Communities with Helena Norberg-Hodge and 11.29
Richard Douthwaite at Schumacher College.
<http://www.schumachercollege.org.uk/ > www.schumachercollege.org.uk.

11.18 Cambridge, MA Anna gives the keynote at the Women
Chefs and Restaurateurs conference. www.chefnet.com/wcr.

12.12 New York, NY Small Planet Fund Reception and
Benefit! www.smallplanetfund.org

Frances Moore Lappé

Email:
<http://lw9fd.law9.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=MSG1032401176.49&start
=658083&len=20935&src=&type=x&to=smallplanet%40attbi%2ecom&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&cur
mbox=F000000001&a=d2a6bc71f0409dee54ca84139adc964c > smallplanet@attbi.com

Web:
<http://207.68.164.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=bda7a4b129cae91b2edd3a26079e02e2&la
t=1032443835&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2edietforasmallplanet%2ecom%2f >
http://www.dietforasmallplanet.com/

Co-author with Anna Lappé of Hope's Edge:

The Next Diet for a Small Planet

Tarcher/Putnam, New York, February 2002

Co-founder with Anna Lappé of The Small Planet Fund

Web: www.smallplanetfund.org

Forwarded by:
Chrys Ostrander
33495 Mill Canyon Rd.
Davenport, WA 99122
509-725-0610
chrys@thefutureisorganic.net

.

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net

  • [permaculture] [Fwd: Fw: News Update from Frances Moore Lappe and Daughter], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 09/20/2002