permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Plantings

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Plantings
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:40:05 EDT

Good day:)
In a message dated 9/16/02 1:03:32 AM, eco_living@yahoo.com writes:

<< First two things I'd do if your pond were my pond, knowing only the
details you've posted thus far:
1) Keep the cattle out of it... >>

Agreed!

<<2) Go find a nearby pond in a relatively 'natural' setting that's full
of diverse life and seems 'healthy' as ponds in your area go, and
inoculate your pond with bucketfuls of water and life (visible and
microscopic flora and fauna) scooped from the nearby pond. >>

Hmm...I have a small .2 acre spring fed pond but it too doesn't seem to have
a lot of plant life in it. Cattle use it at times but less so than large
pond. Frogs, heron and other critters use it. I'll scoop up some buckets
...who knows.

<< larger water plants for the shallows around the edges(what exactly would
depend on your climate, can't give specific recommendations).>>

Yes...I agree. I'm trying to figure out just what kinds of plants to use down
here in south central Kentucky. I need to plant to control erosion on banks
which are very susceptible.
With neglect fescues, and spiny amaranth, some weeds have covered some of
area, but I'd like to work toward naturalistic pond plantings that will
enhance pond's water, and add interest, and beauty.

I like the idea of putting in water hyacinth but I'm in USDA Zone 6B, which
might get a little too cold in winter. Pond has frozen over a couple of times
in past two years.

Rather than a plant here or there I'd love to work toward a holistic pond
planting that will also work with the eventual stocking with fish, etc.

I'd appreciate suggestions. TIA Frank