permaculture - [permaculture] guilds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "jamie" <jamie@tiscali.fr>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] guilds
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:05:36 +0200

>The permaculture guild angle is something I'm very interested
>in.  I would like to see discussion on permaculture guilds.

>Steve Diver

Me too. It's been on my mind since reading an article online by one Kirby Fry, called Strategies for Drylands. In it he seems to be describing exactly the climate and flora of my region here in the southern France, which is strange when he claims to be living in Texas! Now that Kirby is here in the electronic flesh I'd be interested in discovering the depth of correspondence between our ecosystems.

Something curious has just happened, between the above paragraph and this I was just searching the Pc archives for anything on guilds when I cam across an old posting of Toby's from Aug '99 again drawing attention to distinction between ecological and Pc guilds. Nothing curious about that, it is a point worth making for clarity. However, checking through the thread the guild comments grew out of another thread discussing the need for a Pc 'virtual world' another way of expressing the need for a Pc database (an electronic Pc resource). Perhaps this pc discussion list is an ecosystem and that threads upon the list organise themselves into guilds? Considering the recent Pc Wiki thread it deserves more study, perhaps I'll just return to the archives and see if Big Pc and Agrarian Suburbs are also there for Aug '99.

I came across this when recently reading about Gilles Lemieux's work at Laval University, that might help explain how guilds come about;

3.3 ยท Diversity in the plant community can be quite important in stabilizing below ground mutual aid after

catastrophic disturbance, and certain plant species appear to form guilds (association for mutual aid

and the promotion of common interests) defined by common belowground mutualists. In forest of Oregon

and California, growth of conifer seedlings is significantly enhanced in soils previously occupied by

some species of early succesionnal hardwoods (Amaranthus & Perry [1987] in press, Borchers and

Perry [1987]). This enhancement is not due to inherent site differences between areas with and without

hardwoods, but to biologiocal inprints: mycorrhizae, nitrogen-fixing Azospirillum sp. siderophore

producers, and perhaps other microflora shared between the hardwoods and the conifers (none were

symbiotic nitrogen fixers). (www.sbf.ulaval.ca)

Jamie

Souscayrous