permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Creating a Pc outreach organization

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Creating a Pc outreach organization
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:55:44 -0500

Correction in sentence below... should say city
instead of farm.

A foodshed analysis relates to regional food production,
transportation, and consumption.

The school systems with their cafeterias are a perfect example.

Where do the green beans come from? What is the impact
of a cafeteria worker opening up a 5-gallon can of processed
green beans grown 1,500 miles away versus a cafeteria worker
preparing a bushel of fresh or frozen green beans grown within
30-75-150 miles of town.

To the extent we are little ants in the global scheme of
things -- especially the marco-economic forces of globalized
agriculture and food sales by retail giants -- I see a ray
of hope to refocus the situation with community food
systems that focus on foodshed audits and foodshep
partnerships between regional farmers and local
institutions and restaurants and grocery stores to support
a regional economy.

Steve Diver