permaculture - [permaculture] Questions of scale....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Questions of scale....
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 10:11:34 -0400

I've been following the discussion on big ag, but there was too much to read
it all, so excuse me if these thoughts were covered elsewhere:

1. There is a limit to the scale at which PC will work, and its not related
to size necessarily - it's when the ability to use "waste" productively is
exceeded -

2. With regards to applying PC to large operations, there is an intrinsic
assumption at work that maybe needs to be challenged and that is that
machinery is necessary to productivity/efficiency and profit - as Paul
Hawken points out in "Natural Capitalism" : in a world with more and more
people needing more and more jobs, where is the logic in continuing to
promote expensive, unsustainable technologies that result in less and less
people being needed ?
We need more hands on more farms...the most productive farms in the world,
by a long shot, are in the 3 to 5 acre range.... ( productivity measures
cahnge dramatically when you factor inputs as well as outputs....)