permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture garden design tips

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture garden design tips
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 00:14:23 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

>And of course dead or diseased trees need to go too.
> Since the farm is very private, and one of few integral large farms
> around wildlife abounds. I enjoy the variety of nature on the farm,
> and strive to enhance, or leave areas for them.

Dead trees (standing 'snags', or fallen) are often rich habitat for
wildlife, some of which is food for other wildlife. Consider leaving
them as they are, unless they're in a place where they would fall on
your house, barn, etc. Fallen, they feed the forest as they
decay...lay 'em across your slopes (if they don't do you the favor of
falling that way right off ;-) to slow water movement.

After 50+ years learning and practicing selective sustainable forestry,
Merv Wilkinson (Vancouver Island, BC) says he's observed that most
'diseased' trees in an otherwise relatively healthy forest ecosystem
are just fine left alone. They'll either recover, live with the
'disease', or die from it (which happens eventually anyhow).

Recall also Mollison's take on 'diseased' trees/forests - that the
'disease' is a sign of prior disruption/damage, and the critters that
come to feast on the trees are simply taking advantage of the weakened
'immune system' of the already damaged tree/forest. So at the least,
see if any forest 'disease' you observe is a sign of something else
going on that weakens forest/trees and enables disease organisms to
have an easy time of it.

As for slowing/spreading water on your steeper slopes and eroded
gullies, check the latest issue of Permaculture Activist for some good
articles on gabions and other techniques.

best wishes,

=====
John Schinnerer, MA