permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Info on vinegar as a weed killer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Info on vinegar as a weed killer
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:58:04 -0500

Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:04:48 -0500
From: Gloria <gloriafarms@famvid.com>
Subject: Re: [grazersedge] Info on vinegar as a weed killer
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

At 12:35 PM 5/30/02 -0500, James, Roger L DATCP wrote:
>Vinegar is, according to this story, quickly becoming a popular product in
>the war on weeds.

I've been using vinegar for weeds for years. A couple of years ago I wrote
an article on the web about a large scale use of vinegar on our new farm to
battle thistles. The results were nothing short of spectacular. Our farm
had been overgrazed prior to our purchase of it and the pastures had been
overtaken by thistles of a couple different species (Canadian and musk). We
sprayed once through, hitting each thistle. We had to reapply on only a few
of the largest plants. The grass kill was minimal in the immediate area
around the thistles, and the grass came back and filled in extremely fast.

When I spray vinegar, I spray the plain distilled variety, undiluted. It
seems to work best in full sunshine, and when sprayed on a sunny day the
tops of the weed will be black within hours. On a few large, mature weeds,
I have sometimes gone back a week or two later with a second, selective
spraying for final kill. We found that the most effective application
technique for the largest musk thistles (which were over my head in height)
was to kick them over and spray the vinegar in the shattered stalk. The
slight extra effort to do this resulted in little second spraying. I can
spray thistles in a pasture and not have to kill all the grass, which is
hugely beneficial. Best of all, I don't have to "suit up" in protective
clothing and a respirator to use vinegar, nor do I need to worry about
getting an MSDS sheet on it, as it is merely salad dressing. :-)

Gloria - Illinois Farmer
Visit our farm website: http://hiddenoaksfarm.mybravenet.com

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search