permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Bending Metal

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Simon Kartar" <skartar@cfbt.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Bending Metal
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:22:43 +0100

Dear Elijah,

My Granddad used to bend copper pipe by filling it with sand and bending it
over his knee. The sand supports the inner circumference, preventing it
from kinking (go slowly though!). Thinking about it, a polytunnel would be
fairly easy to make like this, with the 'ribs' connected by a central
'spine' at the top by any of the cheap and easy plumbing connectors
available.

Thanks for the idea!

Simon.

"souscayrous"

<souscayrous@wanadoo.fr> To:
<permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent by: cc:

permaculture-admin@lists.i Subject: RE:
[permaculture] Bending Metal
biblio.org

09/04/02 10:13 AM

Please respond to

permaculture

To bend copper pipe work for plumbing it is possible to use a bending
spring
or a pipe bender. Copper is, of course, far softer than the aluminium I
suspect the metalwork of your greenhouses is made from and for this reason
the spring would require too much force. However, a particularly robust
pipe
bender or a homemade version able to pinion and then form the required
curve
using the same principle might work. If you were able to design a
greenhouse
requiring only a single fixed angle for every curved section, then a
homemade device would likely be the best solution. Alternatively, why not
create a geodesic dome out of short straight sections of pipe and cover
with
plastic?

Souscayrous