permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Information ownership

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: permage <Permage@ziplip.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Information ownership
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:22:37 -0800 (PST)

The discussion on ownership issues (information, seeds et al) has been an
interesting one with plenty of substance. I must confess that when the Thilo
discussion thread first got underway, I thought the whole thing was a setup.
A carefully crafted ‘dispute’ by likeminded individuals to highlight issues
raised earlier by Mollison-permaculture-copywrite threads and
Flick-indigenous knowledge distribution threads. I kept waiting for the final
"gotcha ya’all" post. I was wrong. It was apparently quite genuine. I offer
my apologies guys.

The discussion on information ownership/distribution are critical to the
development and ‘maturing’ of these neo-paganist cyber-communities. (yeah I
know, junk jargon, but it does roll of the tongue quite nicely) How to use
this internet medium to share much-needed information and at the same time,
protect and recognise the valuable input of individuals, including their
right to earn a living from that work? The discussion should also recognise
the importance of this information source to those who may not have the means
or resources to ‘pay’ for knowledge. Such as those engaged in projects in
developing countries etc.

I am glad to see that the discussion has developed beyond personalities
clashing. There has been very little 'flaming'. That in itself says a lot for
the ‘maturity’ of this email list. These are important issues that may not
have clear solutions. They need to be explored.

This also touches on the Plant Database development which spawned a separate
email list. Lots of people wanted the information resource. But not too many
wanted to do the work of creating it. Open source/copyleft concepts are
valuable but sometimes seem to be vague on more pragmatic isssues like how
one receives just compensation for work invested in development work. (beyond
the ‘feelgood’ fuzzies of dong something for the common good.)

A number of writers such as Toby and Graham have crafted excellent replies on
this topic. In part, the discussion seems to rest on the development of an
ethical framework for ‘life’ within our cyber-community. (Interesting that
Mollison included ethical guidelines as part of ‘Permaculture’) The
fundamental issue of how to maintain the integrity of ethics in the company
of others who may not respect or refuse to recognise those ethical boundaries?

To touch on analogy from the earlier discussion on indigenous knowledge, to
desert aboriginals, knowledge of the location of scarce water sources were
critical to their survival. Sharing of this knowledge was done with those who
understood that these were survival resources that had to be sparingly used
and protected for the common good of all. This ethical integrity fell apart
when the information was shared with (some) white settlers who then abused
the water source by using it to water cattle and horses. The water source
was dug out, fouled and a scare resource destroyed for short term gain. A
survival resource lost to people who depended upon it.

Globalisation/corporatisation would see all resources locked up and
controlled on a strictly user-pay principle. Ethics replaced by artificially
inflated dollar values with emphasis on ‘interest’ on borrowed funds creating
permanent dependencies. Anarchists (creative edge of chaos?) would perhaps
see the dissolution of all such ‘ownership’. Many years ago Tofler (Alvin)
wrote of the social emergence of ‘prosumers’ (cf. Consumers/producers) who
would creatively ‘homestead’ idealogical landscapes utilizing emerging
technology.

Somewhere amongst all of this is the mythical (?) ‘common man’ who is simply
trying to get by, raise a family, and preserve his environment as best he/she
can. How do we all work together to give everyone who desires it, the
tools/resources to achieve sustainable freedom and independance? Difficult
questions.......

This probably doesn’t add much to the discussion. More so intended as an
expression of appreciation for the fine discussion thus far. It has been most
interesting and thought-provoking. Thanks.

  • [permaculture] Re: Information ownership, permage, 03/30/2002