permaculture - [permaculture] The Power of Duck: Integrated Rice & Duck Farming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] The Power of Duck: Integrated Rice & Duck Farming
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:59:54 -0600

Here's a noteworthy book for The Permaculturist's Bookshelf::

"The Power of Duck: Integrated Rice & Duck Farming"
by Takao Furuno. Tagari Publications, Tasmania.

This book is really impressive for a summary of this sustainable
farming method, but also for the creative farmer-friendly layout
with crop calenders as to "when" you perform interseeding of
cover crops, etc..

It is like Furuno & Tagari sat down and did a permaculture
design on how to present information in a book format. It is
laid out so well that it is easy to follow, even though rice-duck
integrated agriculture is fairly complex when you think about it.
It's got plenty of illustration, tables, and photographs.

Weeder geese generated a lot of interest in the early 90's. One
time I was digging through the university library to find information
on this topic and I across a curious blurb about "Agaimo ducks"
as biological weeders in addition to weeder geese. Well, this
book is about the Agaimo duck, the work bird of the Orient.

Here's a few book descriptions I found on Google.com

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~it6i-wtnb/PowerDuckChapter.html
http://www.ecwa.asn.au/info/news0104.html#Duck
http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~Aigamo21/Furuno%20book/Book1.html

We wrote to Tagari about ordering books, and they
provided a couple of North American distributors, fyi:

Tagari Publications - Permaculture Institute
31 Rulla Road
Sisters Creek
Tasmania 7325
Australia