permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Managing Wild Grapes in Woodlands

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Managing Wild Grapes in Woodlands
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:21:24 -0600

Cut selectively, they grow back just fine. Save your quality trees, let them tear down the junk for you.
Mark
At 06:58 AM 3/22/02 -0500, you wrote:
Friends -

I took part in a Plant Savers workshop in Virginia last spring. It was mentioned several times that a spring season obligation of the natural forester is to cut down wild grape vines.

Well it's spring, but now I'm hearing that wild grapes are a primary source of food for both birds and many mammals, including black bears.(I'm on the Blue Ridge)

I'd appreciate any insights on this or suggested reading. In our area it is not uncommon to see several LARGE vines pulling at an oak in the woods. (Wild grapes are listed as a noxious weed in many states.)

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Northern Virginia