permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Cutting Edge Way to Grow Food]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, Bagelhole1@AOL.COM
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Cutting Edge Way to Grow Food]
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:28:06 -0500

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:24:31 EST
Sender: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group
<SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
From: Bagelhole1@AOL.COM
Subject: Cutting Edge Way to Grow Food

I have a not for profit project, www.bagelhole.org (where there is a
photo of
the small version on the homepage) which focusses on sharing and
collecting
low-tech, alternative, sustainable info to help individuals and
communities
towards self-reliance, self-sustainability, and autonomy. Vertical
aquaponics
is a cutting edge way for people to grow their own food. I have both a
large
and small version functioning in my backyard in San Francisco as I am
trying
to make my home a model for sustainability ( I have a long way to go),
though
I have chickens for eggs, fruit trees, and growing mushrooms too.
In a 3'x3'x 7' high space, I can place 100 2 liter plastic pop
bottles
for plant holders in vertical columns over about 1 and a half feet of
water
for fish and water plants, the fish supplying the nutrients for the
plants,
the water being pumped up thru 1/2 inch tubing every 10 hours for 1
minute or
so (timer is attached). The bacteria in the roots help cleans the fish
water,
the action aerates it a bit, the water plants help clean the water and
feeds
the fish. Each 2 liter bottle can hold 4-10 plants.
So, you can see that this makes growing your own vegetables and
herbs
feasible for many people since it overcomes the problems of
insufficient
space and time. Once its set up, it only needs a little monitoring and
harvesting.
A larger version (22'x7'x22'x7', 2'deep water and about 7' high) is
also
operating successfully in my backyard. This would be an ideal project
for all
schools everywhere, as it has about 720 bottles and is also a great
learning
device, besides creating a never ending supply of organic veggies,
herbs, and
fish. Inside the water there is fish, water plants (water hyacinth,
azolla),
turtles, frogs, and crayfish. We may put a 6' anaconda in there as well
along
with some tree frogs.
Our goal is to see this being implemented as widely as possible. We
would
be happy to advise and help others in any way we can. The cost is
around
$1000 for the large one, depending on how much wood and windows can be
found
or gotten very cheap. The main expenses are the pumps about $60 each,
timer
$80, the corrugated plastic greenhouse roofing. The hosing, s hooks,
wire,
shredded bark for growing medium, seeds, clay balls or stones to allow
flow,
are negligible. Labor should be volunteered by children and parents. 2
liter
plastic pop bottles need to be collected.
I tell you all this, with the hope that you will see the value of
this
and perhaps decide to share this with the schools you work with and
your
colleagues to help get this happening everywhere. I would be interested
in
your thoughts. Also, you are welcome to come and visit anytime, and we
would
be happy to advise and help in any way we can.

Most Organically,
Tom Osher
San Francisco
www.bagelhole.org

  • [permaculture] [Fwd: Cutting Edge Way to Grow Food], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 02/06/2002