permaculture - [permaculture] Re: subsistence/yield

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: 1earth permaculture <permaculture1@start.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: subsistence/yield
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:18:12 +1000

George:

>but for the most part subsistance is a form of culture - looots of
local cooperation structures and alternative economics. thats where
the fun of this lifestyle lies - a load of monetaryly poor people
having the good life and a great time together...

Yes, subsistance farmers have lots of fun - except when they're
starving to death, and in times of drought, flood, disease,
mismanagement, etc ...

Yes, 'culture' has formed around subsistance farming - mankind has
been doing it for thousands of years, so naturally it is part of
'culture'. And no doubts, Bill & Dave took their inspiration for
permaculture from this 'culture'.

I'm very aware that any mention of economics is an easy target for
ridicule amongst permaculturalists. But if economics can make the
system more efficient then it shouldn't be discarded. A 'resources
audit' afterall is the basis for examining if a farm is economically
viable.

The world produces 2 kilos of food per person per day, but we haven't
figured out a distribution system yet. Can we make distributing food
as much 'fun' and part of 'culture' as growing it?

Marcus