permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: pesticides and Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jerome Osentowski" <jerome@crmpi.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: pesticides and Permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:04:42 -0700

Yes it's all there in the ethics, and the principles, ie. useing biological
resourses. I have just come out with a viedo "Natural Controls for Noxious
Weeds. I have been growing here in Colo and other places around the world,
for 20 years, and have only used chemicals once, It was for the same
problem that you mention , leaf cutter ants. This was down in Nic. on the
pc demonstration farm that M. More and I set up in l992. the farm is doing
well and now has no problem with the ants. We used a fungiside to stop
the fermentation
in the nest. which cuts off their food source. We also were using two other
natural controls with some success, cortilaria. We had planted out over
2,000 trees on this burnted out peace of land. The trees were like candy
sticks , and the ants were comming in from miles around . We were trying to
save our ass, and we did. It's one thing to write about what you should or
not do on this site, but when you down in the tropics , things can happen
fast. In Argentina there is a supper ant , that is totally out of control.
That reminds me I need to get another box of borix acid for the carpenter
ants that just reappeared on my counter this morning.....
--
Jerome Osentowski, Director
Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute

Tel/fax (970) 927-4158 E mail: jerome@crmpi.org

For more information, please visit our web site at <<www.crmpi.org>>