permaculture - [permaculture] (fwd) Re: permaculture software (warning, long)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lflondon@mindspring.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] (fwd) Re: permaculture software (warning, long)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:31:30 -0500

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:51:47 +0000, in alt.permaculture Ute Bohnsack
<sustag@eircom.net> wrote:

Craig Ambrose wrote:

> Those are some hefty requirements there Ute. :)

You did ask...:)

> To date, I've been more
> interested in the permaculture design of the site itself, rather than the
> resources and actions required to achieve the design.

The latter becomes more pertinent when you are designing for other
people.

> So while I haven't
> used CMS, it certainly looks a bit over the top for most people to use (or
> afford) to get stuck into permaculture design.

Quite true. I just wanted to give a (good) example for software that
helps the
designer to clearly outline a plan from 'What are the resources on
site' to
'What do I, or does the site owner, want to achieve' and 'How do I, or
the site
owner, go about achieving it.' If this process is guided by a series
of headers,
as in a management plan, there is a lesser chance that important
issues,
constraints etc. are being overlooked, especially when planning for
other
people. For example, the headers for a 'personal inventory' (as
opposed to the
site inventory) could look like this:

3: PERSONAL INVENTORY
3.1: Personal considerations
3.1.01: Goals you want met by your land
3.1.02: Guiding values
3.1.03: Future developments planned or contemplated
3.1.04: Aesthetic priorities including favorite colors, plants or
fragrances
3.1.05: What feeling do you wish to have the landscape evoke
3.1.06: Your needs for sight and sound privacy
3.1.07: Allergies of land-dwellers
3.1.08: Diet and taste preferences
3.1.09: Land-dweller's fears of insects or other animals
3.1.10: Age, handicaps
3.1.11: Lifestyles
3.1.12: Number of people and relationships
3.1.13: Level of food self-sufficiency desired
3.1.14: Level of energy self-suffiiency desired
3.1.15: Priorities
3.2: Resources available
3.2.1: Leisure time available for installation and maintenance
3.2.2: Budget for installation and maintenance
3.2.3: Inexpensive or free local soil amendments and nutrients
3.2.4: Inexpensive or free building materials
3.2.5: Special skills
3.2.6: Names, addresses and phone numbers of helpful local people
3.2.7: Local/regional groups and organisations
3.3: Particular problems or opportunities resulting from personal
inventory
3.3.1: Problems
3.3.2: Opportunities

> Your point 2 would
> definatelly be doable with my proposed software, amongst other things.

Great!

> Since we have a livelly discussion going here, I'll describe our current
> design in a little more detail.

>[snip lots of very interesting stuff)
Let's keep the discussion going.

TTFN