permaculture - New mind set...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: New mind set...
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 13:38:21 -0500

Thanks to all who've replied on the Lomborg thread. I had a rough holidays
because of that guy I can assure you.

I happened upon a bit from ISHMAEl Author Daniel Quinn's book "Beyond
Civilozation" that helped me decide to stop knocking on closed doors:

"Beyond civilization isn't a geographical space up in the mountains or on
some remote desert isle.It's a cultural space that opens up among people
with new minds.

Old minds think : "How do we solve these problems."
New Minds think : " How do we make happen what we want to happen"

As you discuss the ideas found in this book with your friends, you'll be
able to spot the old minds easily. They're the ones who are always playing
"devil's advocate", always proposing and concentrating on difficulties,
always nailing the progress of your dialogue down to problems. Focus instead
on what you want to happen and how to make it happen, rather than on all the
things that might keep it from happening."

What I want to see happen is for our culture to develop an ecological
mindset. Damned if I know how to get there though....

There was a thread a while back that sought to answer why PC isn't reaching
more people. The concensus (?) seemed to be that it was because the subject
was so hard to define, harder still to grasp.

Lately, maybe because it's grey, cold, windy, wintery, I've given up pot and
I hate x-mas, It just seems that the deeper reason is that people plum don't
give a flying fiddler's shit....

And on that negative note I'm off for one of my all time favorite activities
- skating on the lake when the ice is transparent and you feel like you're
walking on water.....

Thanks again,

Love,
Claude