permaculture - Re: Sydney's fires - a short story

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sydney's fires - a short story
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 21:10:47 -0800

At 02:03 PM 12/27/01 +1100, Pacific Edge Permaculture + Media wrote:
HOW AUSTRALIAN FORESTS END UP ON NEW ZEALAND SNOWFIELDS

As I sit writing this message in a southern suburb of Sydney, Australia, a
fallout of cinders and burned eucalyptus leaves continues to descend on the
city, just as it has these past two days.

I hope that you are safe where you are.

Here in the south-east, a vast biome dominated by eucalypt forest, the fire
season comes in summer - late December and January.

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, half a world away, the very same eucalyptus was one of the main contributors to the big Oakland fire in October of 1991 - hundreds of homes destroyed - and for many of the same reasons. We also have a fire/flood ecology here...but eucalyptus isn't a native species here; it was brought over by people who saw how fast it grew and figured they could use it for something - initially for railroad ties, for which it was poorly suited.

Amazing how many things we can have in common across so many miles. I hope that things don't go as badly there now as they did here a little over ten years ago.

Take care,

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S. Ivanova, ret.