permaculture - Re: Assessing competencies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Assessing competencies
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:53:25 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> The value of defining permaculture compentencies and providing the
> training so that students become basically competent in them is that
> permaculture designers/ activists or whatever they call themselves
> can actually deliver workable systems to the clients/ communities
> they work with. This would, hopefully, include the follow-up and
> training of those clients/ communities
> so that they understand and can manage the systems introduced. This
> prevents system breakdown and abandonment.

I look at it this way: empowering individuals/communities to
understand, design, implement and manage their desired systems is the
lead-in 'training' that also 'delivers' their desired, workable
systems.

If people have bought into their desired process fully from the start
and been thoroughly engaged in design and implementation, I suspect
their short and long term 'success' is more likely.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA