permaculture - Re: Afghan PC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Bonney" <sustainableearth.steve@verizon.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Afghan PC
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 12:06:22 -0500

> involved government/aid organization circles to offer up permaculture
> designing and systems as an approach to increased food/community
> security in Afghanistan.

This is especially important in order to reestablish indigenous crops in
Afghanistan. The history of U.S. government involvement in wordwide
agriculture has been atrocious. Especially when tied to drug crops.
For instance, in Columbia and Peru, the U.S. pushed asparagus (by
paying farmers to grow it)as an alternative to coca. Now the U.S. is
flooded with S. A. asparagus and this year the growers in Michigan
(where it is often grown on small farms) have been forced to lower
their wholesale price from $0.62/pound to $0.54.

Let's push the goal of growing food in Afghanistan for Afgani people,
not some alien crop grown for export.
Steve

Steve Bonney
Sustainable Earth
a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to the
development of sustainable family farming systems
and local food systems
100 Georgton Ct.
W. Lafayette, IN 47906
(765) 463-9366