permaculture - Re: Listmember's Ecologies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gb0063551@cableinet.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Listmember's Ecologies
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 10:14:51 -0000

> Why should anyone share knowledge with some one who writes about books as
> if he
is a
> bower bird intent upon collecting as many items as possible. Will your
> increased
> knowledge impress your friends? lead you to happiness? bring you wealth?
>
> No. Perhaps you just want to be a good permaculture gardener. I suggest
> doing a
search
> under 'permaculture' on google. You will find plenty of examples and
> answers to
your
> question without demanding people write to you. Why should anyone bother if
you're
> just going to argue with them.

Well thats one way of interpreting Sean's request, and I would be able to
empathise
with you Bob if Sean had requested that such information be emailed privately
off
list to him, as it stands though it just struck me as an open request for
information that the whole group could find useful as it will give us all
insights
into each others' situations and the diversity of circumstances that those of
us
who describe themselves as permaculturists actually encounter.

F'rinstance my situation is very urban, living as I do in Southend On Sea, a
large
built up town (pop @200,000) about 30 miles to the East of London following
the
Thames to it's estuary. Soils tend to be heavy clay, and prevailing winds
South
Westerly, but around here the main issues are about community building and
urban
permaculture stuff, eg, transport, health, employment, pollution, growing
food in
cities, creating green spaces, etc, etc and general human dynamics rather than
'land stuff'- I know that other list members live very remotely and hardly see
another human soul from one week to the next, their circumstances, issues and
prioritys are very different, but we are all sitting under the same rainbow
umbrella of Permaculture!!!

Sean's question is also a good way of getting us to actually think about 'hey,
yeah, just what IS my ecology???'. Sometimes it's stuff we just know
instinctively,
but Seans question gives us a chance to think it through more formally by
writing
stuff down in a form that makes sense to others, and maybe even cover bits
we've
missed. "Just what IS my underlying geology??? Just which plants ARE
indigenous
around here????.... I never actually thought about that until Sean asked me
write it down"- that sort of thing...

Cheers

Graham Burnett
www.landandliberty.co.uk
Now available-
'Permaculture A Beginner's Guide'
also
tee shirts- 'Permaculture Manadala'
&
'Land Is Liberty- Plant A Seed Today...'