permaculture - update from Marsha Hanzi

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture digest "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: update from Marsha Hanzi
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:26:50 -0800

Title: update from Marsha Hanzi
(Marsha Hanzi asked me to forward this; for those of you who don't know her, she's a well-established permaculturist who's been in Brazil for a number of years.
--Toby)

I have bought a piece of land in the drylands, where I and colleagues are designing a community/dryland polyculture project. It is deep summer now, but in March we will be able to start our planting, a cashew-based agroforest...As of June or so we will be in a position to start receiving trinees, if all goes according to plan.

The drylands polyculture project is taking off.  Last year there were 49 plots.  This year there will be 200 ( just waiting for the rains to come...)Although the focus itself is on the agricultural model per se ( it´s actually an agroforest model) , in the monthly meeting with the farmers, many other themes are developed including planning, budgeting, nutrition, marketing, etc. , with a certificate at the end of the year.  As many of these farmers ar illiterate, this access to professional training is having a big impact on their lives ( several have revealed themselves to be excellent teachers of the model and are being trained as "multipliers").

As I am usually on the road these days, if anyone wants to get in contact with  me, he/she can via
mhanzi@yahoo.com

Best wishes to all!

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil

  • update from Marsha Hanzi, Toby Hemenway, 11/14/2001