permaculture - Re: permaculture digest: November 08, 2001

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture digest: November 08, 2001
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 19:05:46 +0000

> Subject: Re: creating online plant database
> From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:23:19 -0800 (PST)
>
> Aloha,
>
> Whoa! I'm buried in a mailstorm! ;-)
>
> I support the idea in general, and I have some questions and
> suggestions on this whole idea, some wearing my eco-design hat and some
> wearing my tech designer/developer/tester hat. I'll gather them
> together in the next day or so after I have time to read more of the
> thread, but here's the top few:
>
> Why? What would we be doing that isn't largely a duplication of effort
> - what would we create that PFAF and other plant info DB's don't, etc.

As for duplication of effort folks might be interested in joining the
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfaf_developers
mailing list. This is for people interested in helping with the
development
of the pfaf database and website. We've got quite a few plans. A few
months back the list was quite lively, with lots of interesting
ideas.

> Keeping fuzzy, dubious or just plain wrong info out of a DB that's open
> for whomever to put stuff into would be very difficult. I propose an
> open source type of process for both development and data
> collection/integration (more later - see also opensource.org and
> opencontent.org)

Indeed. One reason why I've had the Readers Comment section quite
separate.
It might be possible to have a rating/moderation system like
slashdot.org.

> If Permaculture is about relatings between elements, then perhaps the
> core objects in a DB design would be the relations, rather than the
> plants themselves (big conceptual leap, but seems worth some thought;
> also a partial answer to my first question).

The other major issue to be addressed is visibility. For collaborative
projects to really work these got to be a good community behind it.
Theres so many half done databases out there, which never get anywhere
through lack of a userbase. A plant database covers so many areas
(more than just permaculture) that its time to get networking.

Rich
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Main Site: Blagdon Cross Plant Research and Demonstration Gardens,