permaculture - Re: Sustainable Urban Food Systems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gb0063551@cableinet.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainable Urban Food Systems
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:25:57 -0000

>But then there are also the
> allotments in Britain, small gardens on unused urban lands in the city for
> flat
> dwellers. I believe Graham Burnett on this list has such an allotment.

Indeed I have 3 at the present time (though 2 are half the size of a normal
plot so
only count as one- these are my 'Zone 2/3', where I tend to mainly grow my
maincrop
veggies (onions, potato's, beans, etc) & bush fruit). The other plot is some
distance away and is being developed as a forest garden. Unfortunately I'm not
allowed to grow trees at the plots which are nearer to my home- different
allotment
sites tend to have different rules & regulations, but things are much laxer
at the
Manchester Drive site so there's more room for creativity & innovation- there
is
also a much lower uptake of plots at this site, so lots of the site is
returning to
natural systems (alot of ash self establ;ishing towards the north of the
site),
which again makes it a more appropriate place for forest gardns, etc.

There's pics of my allotment from the air as a subpage of my garden pages
http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/Garden/ ,hopefully I will shortly upload
some
pics from the forest garden soon (not much to see on my actual plot at the
moment
but the allotment adjacent has also been managed as a forest garden by my
friend
for the last 7 or 8 years, so you can get an idea of the succession from
'conventional' abandoned allotment to beginning to mature forest garden)-
watch
this space!! BTW the trees for this forset garden project (as well as pond
liner,
site rent, etc) are being paid for by money raised by my Permaculture For
Beginner's book which has a 'Tree Tax' levied on it.

Cheers
Graham
www.landandliberty.co.uk