permaculture - Re: Anna Edey-style Greenhouses (Solviva)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Anna Edey-style Greenhouses (Solviva)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 22:05:22 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

--- J Kolenovsky <garden@hal-pc.org> wrote:
> I asked these people twice what they are talking about . They never
> responded. Can anyone share what they are referring to?

I didn't write it, but it makes sense to me..."chook" is Aussie (oops,
'Australian') for "chicken." Sounds like an archetypal PC
greenhouse/chicken coop combo.

> Do the chickens sleep in every other drum and the alternate drums
> store the water?

That's what it sounds like to me. It'd be in Austrialia, unless
they're describing a project elsewhere in Aussie lingo.

> mentioned a dividing wall and an internal wall.
> Please explain. I am not familiar with this type of technology.

I think they're referring to the same wall, the one made of the
containers, that divides the greenhouse part from the chicken coop part
of the total structure. It needs sun on it to help warm the water; the
greenhouse side would be sun-facing so that'd be the side the sun would
hit from.

The chicken nests face into the coop side; the 90mm (~3.5" for those
still clinging to feet and inches ;-) flex pipe off the top of the
containers turned into nests channels the rising warm air from the
nesting chickens over to the greenhouse side.

Pretty clever indeed!

=====
John Schinnerer, MA