permaculture - Re: pc in Kabul

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: pc in Kabul
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 21:04:02 +0200

Hi,

I remember that not so recently thee was an article in Permaculture Magazine
about a refugee camp in Mazedonia being turnd into a permaculture project (I
dont have it at hand now, which issue was that?). Could this approach be
used in a rfuge camp or camps in Pakistan. Theses people should be contacted
and asked about their experiences and lessons learnt.

Starting pc in refugee camps could contribute to feeding a few people inside
the camps (by their own activity instead of passiv waiting for the next
supply) and at the same time teach some of them pc.

Advantage: the pc-people who finally go into Afghanistan would be
Afghanians, capable of the languages and cultures of their areas, and they
would be muslims, not westerners.

By the way, one more thing comming to my mind: Afghanistan used to be a
carpet producing area. Of course, food production has priority, but later,
this could be important. A few months ago I have seen a TV report about a
project in Turkey where somebody reintroduced natural plant dies for carpet
wool. People in some villages started to produce these natural dies again
and grow the plants needed for it. They formed a cooperative for carpet
production and direct marketing. I don't remember the name of the project or
any details, but it should be possible to locate them on the internet.
Carpet production could become an income producing activity for the people
there. At the moment, most of the profits seem to go to sweat shop owners in
Pakistan and traders, so the people making the carpets get little money.

Regards
Andreas Keller