permaculture - Re: Runner Bean Wine??

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Runner Bean Wine??
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:19:31 -0700

At 10:22 AM 9/1/01 +0100, Graham Burnett wrote:
Anybody got a recipe for runner bean wine? My abundantly producing runner bean
plants on the allotment didn't get attention for 10 days or so, and now their are
lots of beans that are too tough & stringy for culinary use....

I don't know about bean wine...but I have two suggestions:

1) Let the beans dry the rest of the way out, shell them, and cook them as any other dried bean - any vegetarian cookbook will tell you how to do that, including soaking them for a while before cooking.

2) If you end up with more dried beans than you can use for seed, share the surplus so that others can grow their own beans. I've been giving away lots of runner beans lately myself.

The main challenge I see in attempting to use them for wine is that they probably don't have a lot of sugar in them, which is essential to fermentation. You could attempt to malt the beans in some way, to convert starches to fermentable sugars...but that seems like the long way around to me.

Just a couple of thoughts,

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S. Ivanova, ret.