permaculture - (fwd) Re: Mucuna the magic bean

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lflondon@mindspring.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: (fwd) Re: Mucuna the magic bean
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:40:39 -0400

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:00:28 +0930, in alt.permaculture "Pete W"
<pete@bigthingy.com> wrote:

The professor (Jules Pretty) jpretty@essex.ac.uk was from England and
the
BBC originally covered the story.... I saw mention of beans being
planted in
the USA..

This site (American) has beans for sale :
http://echonet.org/shopsite_sc/store/html/beanseed.html

But I doubt that shipping them into Oz would be plain sailing :-)

I can't find any Australian outlets so far....

PS. there also seems to be some confusion on the name...Mucuna
deeringiana.
and Mucuna Pruriens have both bean :-) quoted... ????

the pruriens has also bean (stop it will ya) called Nescafe...good
for.....
well everything apparently :-) see below

"Mucuna pruriens (L.) DC. Fabaceae. "Nescafé", "Nescao". Cultivated.
Toasted
ground seeds are used as a coffee substitute (RVM). Elsewhere regarded
as
anodyne, antidotal, aphrodisiac, diuretic, nervine, resolvent,
rubefacient,
and vermifuge; used for anasarca, asthma, cancer, cholera, cough,
diarrhea,
dogbite, dropsy, dysuria, insanity, mumps, pleuritis, ringworm,
snakebite,
sores, syphilis, tumors, and worms (DAW). Interesting that this
reputedly
aphrodisiac plant should contain l-dopa, side effects of which include
priapism (JAD)."

check out http://www.rain-tree.com/nescafe.htm

see ya
Pete

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

  • (fwd) Re: Mucuna the magic bean, lflondon, 08/29/2001