permaculture - Re: A-frame use

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: A-frame use
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:39:44 -0700

At 04:20 PM 8/17/01 +1000, Pacific Edge Permaculture + Media wrote:

2) Locate your starting point then plot the contour using the A-frame; try a
team of three for this - one to manipulate the A-frame, one following to
hammer in pegs marking the contour, a third to carry the spare pegs; the
pegs are made from any suitable stick found locally

Here in the States, the home improvement stores sell these wire things with little plastic flags on them for use in marking irrigation systems. They are relatively inexpensive and almost infinitely reusable, and most of the time they go into the ground much easier and usually faster than a stake or peg. I can survey and mark a swale myself when I use them.

They're obviously not available or suitable everywhere, and sticks are cheaper. But I've been using the same several dollars' worth for about five years, and to me the tradeoff of money for labor saved is worthwhile.

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S. Ivanova, ret.

  • A-frame use, Pacific Edge Permaculture + Media, 08/17/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: A-frame use, Loren Davidson, 08/17/2001
    • Re: A-frame use, 1earth permaculture, 08/18/2001